This recipe hits it all--Sweet, savory, crunchy, soft, filling, not too stuffed to move for an hour afterward. I came across a similar recipe while visiting Kauai last month, and I've been craving it every single day since. You'll see why!
Ingredients: (I eyeball all ingredient amounts per how many people I'm feeding and how each element tastes. Trust your intuition!)
- Brussel Sprouts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flaxseed meal
- Balsamic vinegar
- Honey or sweetener of choice
- Nutritional yeast to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Herb of choice-I chose basil
- Coconut oil or sesame oil
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
2. Mix oil, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, basil, and any other choice seasonings. This is your dipping sauce with which you’ll coat the veggies, so make a lot!
3. Quickly blend oats and flaxseed meal. This is your gluten-free breading! If you’re down with gluten, then premade breadcrumbs will do.
4. Clean and chop brussel sprouts into halves and cauliflower into small heads
5. Roll one veggie at a time in the oil mixture and then the breading. You’ll notice that the cauliflower welcomes this process more than the sprouts. You can simply pour any remaining oil mix and breadcrumbs onto the whole batch later on, and the sprouts will have to say yes.
6. Lay out your veggies in a lined baking tray.
7. Bake for 15-20 mins, until they begin to brown on the edges.
8. Take the tray out of the oven and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds, pecan crumbles, and cranberries everywhere.
9. Back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes
10. Prep your sweet sauce: Balsamic vinegar, honey, and a little salt and pepper. A dash of hot water helps honey blend in with the vinegar.
11. Take the tray out and drizzle your sweet mixture all over.
12. Put your tray back into the oven for a final 5-7 minutes.
13. Take it out, waft, admire, plate, and do your best to wait for this delectable treat to cool so your tongue doesn’t have all tasting abilities burnt away. Maybe snap some photos of it while you wait. Show your friends how badass vegan meals are.